Goa Gajah Elephant Cave Temple Ubud-Bali is located in Bedulu village, Gianyar, Bali. It is about 15 minutes drive from Ubud center.
Elephant Cave Ubud or Goa Gajah history is coming from the words “Goa Gajah” where (Goa) in Indonesian language mean cave and (Gajah) mean elephant. The name of Goa Gajah is according to history in 1923 when a Dutch official named LC. Heyting found the Hariti statue and the Ganesha statue (Ganesha is a god who has the head of an elephant and has a human body). So the Ganesha statue was found in the area of the temple and inside the cave.
But according to historical when Warmadewa Dynasty ruled over Bali Island from the 10th to 11th centuries. The word Goa Gajah or Elephant Cave Temple comes from the word “Lwa Gajah”. In the Lontar Negarakertagama compiled by Mpu Prapanca in 1365 AD, there was the name “Lwa Gajah”. If interpreted, into Indonesian, then the word “Lwa” means river and gajah which means a temple where Buddhist monks worship. So the name “Lwa Gajah” can be interpreted as a place of retreat for Buddhist monks located on the banks of the river.